HOME | News | Blogs | Forum | Classifieds | Real Estate | Yellowpages | Jobs | Contact us

Classifieds, Jobs, Yellow Pages, Real Estate, Blogs, Forums
Hindu Self Shaming
India Forum: Comments, Opinion - Information Resource
News Summary: Often I hear my Hindu friends express how ashamed they are about being a Hindu when they come across some media report about Hindu religious or cultural customs which may not conform to their westernized logic. Or it may be news item of a communal incident in which Hindus are reported to have participated. Western media as well as the English media in India routinely portray Hinduism in stereotyped manner and have rarely shown objectivity in such reports. My friends do not bother to check the re.....read more in: Hindu Self Shaming

Add your comments here. We have kept it Simple! No login required, but you must follow the rules below

Name      

• Use PROPER/VALID names: Comments with names like "ABCD", ".." are deleted.
  • Use SAME name EYERY TIME you post. Different named posts by same person (tracked by IPaddress) are deleted.
  • Spammers: Don’t waste your time here. Comments copntaining Commercial/SPAM/Ad words are not listed.
  • Comments containing Website URL will be listed ONLY after review by our Editors (it may take few hours for the review)
  • Comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material not following our Guidelines are deleted from the site. Report Abuse

Comments
        Total 3 Comments     

These comments are about: Hindu Self Shaming

SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

SrnoComment on Current Thread            
7 blgrim on Mar-17 :

Feedback sent to Author: Hindu-Self-Shaming

I want to make one last important point to the discussion. Many of us, Hindus, are Hindus only by culture with a few basic, Hindu practices, as we learned them by being around our parents, not necessarily by religious education, as such.

I know my parents left it up to us, on our own, to learn and practice what they did as religion and culture. They never had any formal education, did not know how to read or write and did not force anything on us, except basic daily, household chores.

That may also be true of many Christians and Muslims of the Indian Diaspora. Many Hindu children of the Diaspora were never exposed to formal Hindu education, as there was none for many years.

We are comfortable being Hindus as long as we are among non proselytizing friends. The discomfort and self shaming come when we are put in a position or put on the spot to show we know the reasons behind our practices about which we often know very little. This mostly happens when we encounter people with another agenda, like proselytizing, and it can truly be shaming.

The situation is alarming when we, Hindus, become part of the Indian Diaspora where we may be alone among friends who are non Hindus. Otherwise, we are comfortable among Hindu friends.

Some twenty years ago, one of my vegetarian Hindu friends from India told me he ordered meat dishes when he was with non Indian friends at restaurants, but he did not eat the meat. I looked at him and wondered if being vegetarian was a crime of which he was ashamed. That is the extreme to which some of us may go in feeling shame and hiding our discomforts.

Another most important point is that, regardless of whatever anyone may think of Sathya Sai Baba, whether he is God, a guru, a mystic, a charlatan, or whatever, there is one thing he guarantees, and that is lifting the self esteem of all Indians, Hindus and non Hindus alike. There is no one like him to do that in all of India and around the world.

6 S.Ghosh on Mar-17 :

There is no self-Shaming of the Hindus in India except in the pages of the English laguage media, where the writers are not Hindus.
In foreign countries however, if a Hindu has to see Slumdog Millionnaire or any of the programmes of the BBC or would come across the writings of the Anglo-American Indologists, he will be ashamed of himself unless he has a great knowledge about his religion and has a great courage to stand up to the White people and their bIndian slaves.
Unfortunately our secular education does not prepare us for that task.

5 Blgrim on Mar-16 :

Feedback sent to Author: Hindu-Self-Shaming

I would like to believe that Hindu self shaming is not as wide-spread as we are often lead to believe, but for now, I accept self shaming as a possible problem in parts of the Hindu community, because I myself went through some of it, and vowed never to be in that position again.

Such self shaming only comes about with lack of knowledge of Hinduism, and all the basic tenets, practices, etc., of other religions. As a Hindu, I made it my business to know the fundamentals of other religions, as well, in order to value my own religion and defend it from derision where ever I see and experience it.

The Hindu today has no excuse for not knowing the fundamentals of his religion, because of the Internet, where I can say I learned an enormous amount, in conjunction with the teachings of Bhagawan Shri Sathya Sai Baba. The knowledge is available to all in English, especially people like me who know no Indian language in which most Hindu thought is written.

It must be the duty of all Hindus to give their children a taste of the depth of Hindu taught to the extent theycan. Hindus may be too broad minded that they leave their children like lambs to the Christian and Muslim slaughter when they give their children the choice of a religion without first teaching them all they know about Hinduism.

I met so many Hindus who know so little about Hinduism, and I also met so many who are so knowledgeable about Hinduism, much beyond my belief.

The problem of shaming comes when Hindus mostly cannot understand the language of symbolism in Hinduism, as well as how to use their understanding of Islam and Christianity to show them how illogical they may be in their own religion when they try to deride Hindu practices and concepts of God.

I made it my business for the last ten years to combat Christian and Muslim derision of Hinduism by their lack of understanding about Hinduism and to show them the similarities in their own religions with Hinduism.

I further made it my business to research and show Christians and Muslims how Hinduism is the mother of all religions, and the connections of their religions with Hinduism.

See equal souls by William Glick, (Isa Dass) http://www.equalsouls.org/index-2.html. I had learned about the Hindu connections with Islam and Christianity in my research, but never about Judaism until I saw the video series "Om Namah Shivayah" and compared the struggles between the Devas and Asuras with similar struggles in Judaism. Then by chance I discovered the link by William Glick shown above. Now I use it every chance I get to make the point of Hinduism as the mother of all religions.

Hindus can do more by enrolling on Hindu, Christian and Muslim Forums and show the illogics of any derision of Hinduism by presenting Hinduism as a vibrant and noble religion that is attractive to many Christians and also Muslims due to the Hindu way of life.

Hindu Self Shaming - Thread over 

Current Threads

Salesman at 20:02 Today : Narendra Modi as Prime Minister - Part I [325 comments]

This Ivarta forum has become a best bulletin board to place personal advertisements. God bless Ivarta moderators!
 Other comments on this post
 forsdocuments85 on Mar-16 : Buy Genuine And Registered Ielts / Toefl / Gre / Gmat without taking exams Skype in.forsdocuments85

SUCHISMITA RAHA on Feb-26 : Very sadly to write down this about not able exchange my old notes in RBI for during my India visit this jan 2017~ feb 2017 duration. First of all a huge rules of RBI for changing our few amount of notes, which must be passed by custom clearance. Why....
 mukund vaze on Dec-19 : on line ppayments by pos mmachines wpallets etc involves heavy taxes to uusers a small shpop kdeeper have to pay rs 1000 if he ccollected 5000 daily by aTM crads
this is not aaffordable.please make all ppayments free of cost
so that ppeople ....
DrRichardD on Mar-08 : Thoughts on Jati-Varna System [13 comments]

We are urgently in need of kidney donors for the sum of $409,000.00, Contact us now on email for more details.WHATS APP MESSAGE ONLY plus 917411484388
PHONE CALL plus 917411484388
drrichard803@gmail.com
We are located in India
Dr. Richard D
 Brete Pete on Feb-28 : ATTN
THIS MESSAGE IS PARTICULARLY FOR THOSE IN NEED OF THE CANNABIS OIL.PLEASE GET IN TOUCH

Our Cannabis Oil is Pure and potent.Never watered down or diluted,just 100 pure cannabis oil extracted from top quality marijuana grown by us and....
Brete Pete on Feb-28 : Who will clean garbage at Ashram? [2 comments]

ATTN
THIS MESSAGE IS PARTICULARLY FOR THOSE IN NEED OF THE CANNABIS OIL.PLEASE GET IN TOUCH

Our Cannabis Oil is Pure and potent.Never watered down or diluted,just 100 pure cannabis oil extracted from top quality marijuana grown by us and other professional cultivators in California,laboratory tested,then offered

freely here o....
Brete Pete on Feb-28 : Nava-Ratri-Celebration or Exhibitionism? [10 comments]

ATTN

Our Cannabis Oil is Pure and potent.Never watered down or diluted,just 100 pure cannabis oil extracted from top quality marijuana grown by us and other professional cultivators in California,laboratory tested,then offered

freely here o....
 katherine on Oct-22 : Reflect the beam of your love into the lives of your dear ones by sending them these stunning arrangements of Flowers. Send Flowers to Paris through various online stores for your dear ones for whom you really care.
 Mo on Jun-10 : Good article. Introspection is needed. But will it reach those who are bound to hurt and trouble the next woman they find ?
Brete Pete on Feb-28 : NYT corrects Modi editorial blunders [8 comments]

ATTN

freely here o....
 cakenchocolates1 on Feb-07 : More people now-a-days prefer online shopping over conventional shopping. An e-commerce facility has opened a new pathway through different online stores online stores. These kinds of online transactions are very safe, secure and confidential. Delive....
Brete Pete on Feb-28 : A prayer for Narendra Modi [18 comments]

ATTN

freely here o....
 Prasanta Roy on Jan-24 : Send this classic collection of exotic flowers to the dear ones who would rejoice the gifts which are especially delivered from the bottom of one"s heart. Flowers are the ultimate gifts which are gifted only to please the close friends and co~relativ....
 Saibal Roy on Feb-11 : Valentine"s Day marks the occasion where love flows in the air and adds a spark in the heart of your love. During this day every lover has an urge to Send Valentine"s Day Cakes to India, so that in India every girl gets an opportunity to enjoy this m....
 Anik Roy on May-06 : Tryout something unique and special by presenting Flowers and Gifts on mother"s day that represents the message of your soul. Send Mother"s Day Flowers to Japan and appreciate your mother for the special feelings that she has brought to your life. Or....

Comments (till the day of this story)
g kapuria on Mar-16 : Vedic Civilization: In Harmonys Way [33 comments]

KKB.. May be you should tell us about your enlightenment.
Chnadrakant Upadhyay on Mar-15 : Vande Matharam not for PM functions? [18 comments]

The reason given by the officials that people disrespect the National Enthem is simply foolish as far as the occasion is concerned, this was a function of Indian Science Congress where only and only highly literate and disciplined people were to attend it. It is an insult to the natinalism of these elites. An uproar from them should have come. As n....
g kapuria on Jan-31 : Communal Tipu Sultan: Secular Hero [9 comments]

Excellent writing. Secularists are the biggest liars.
030201kishankb on Feb-09 : Imagining Pakistan in decade of 2010 [4 comments]

hh shah on Sunday :

Appreciate the suggestion.

It would help if you can publish a blog at this website based on your review of the same book to back up your assertion, I quote you, "This book, when read by many, has the potential to change the very cultural profile of the Indian Subcontinent."

Thank you.

prasad mkss on Jan-24 : New M F Hussein in AP: Lakshm Prasad [20 comments]

Feedback sent to Author: New-M-F-Hussein-in-Andhra:-Lakshm-Prasad

Yarlagadda is the product anti brahmin tirade led by triparneni ramaswamy choudary with strong pro feelings to his own caste of choudarys.he has the knack of being subservient to the powers that be to enjoy the power..he is a powermaniac..
hindu on Mar-07 : Separating Telangana from Andhra: Does..? [26 comments]

Siasat Daily

Claiming the discovery of a rock inscription belonging to 1417 AD as a historical evidence of the existence of Telangana for over 600 years, the villagers of Tellapur in Ramachandrapuram mandal in Medak district have urged the district collector that their village be renamed "Telanganapuram".

Telangana Jagruthi, an NG....
LawOrderGuy on Jan-23 : Yes, India needs MF Husain [15 comments]

Yes, India needs the MF Hussain.
How can India hang him in a foreign country?
S.Ghosh on Jan-20 : Demystifying the Sufis [12 comments]

Sufis may exist in Iran or Turkey just like the Orthodox Christians, but they are in great danger from the attacks from the Muslims.
Even in West Bengal recently Muslims often attack the Sufis ( commonly known as Baul singers).
Sufi shrines are patronized by the Hindus mainly.

Prof. Ram L. Pandey on Feb-22 : Hinduism: Sankhya System & Guna - Part V [11 comments]

Feedback sent to Author: Hinduism:-Sankhya-System-

Dear Kishan:

I am in the process of reading your article related to gunas theory from your website. It appears very interesting; however, it is based on dualism/idealism (Dvait/Advait) that has problems; the problems of various views are discussed in:
Vimal, R. L. P. (2010).....
ramesh on Jan-13 : America - Problems for Pakistan [3 comments]

Pakistan has a strategic postion between China , Central Asia, India , Iran and Arabia. Unless India does not reabsorb Paksitan the US will have to cooperate with the Paks.

Hindu Self Shaming
India Forum: Comments, Opinion, - Information Resource

Copyright and Disclaimer:
The views expressed in this forum are of the People/Visitors/Authors who post them and not of this website. The author is solely responsible for the contents of the Posts/Views/Opinions on this Discussion Board, Forums. This website does not represent or endorse the accuracy, completeness or reliability of any opinion, statement, appeal, advice or any other information in the Forum Posts. Our readers are free to forward this forum page URL to anyone. This forum posts may NOT be transmitted or distributed by others in any manner whatsoever (other than forwarding or web listing page URL) without the prior permission from this website.

India Varta iVarta.com

Visit iVarta.com for Classifieds, Yellow Pages, and Business Networking 

Free Classified and Yellowpages Listing
Americas Best Classified and Yellowpage Search Engine
Post Asia UK Canada America USA and India classifieds FREE
Reach Worldwide Community by listing your posting at iVarta Open Directory
Terms of Service | Join mailing list